Monday, October 21, 2013

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction


"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones was released in 65.  In 77, Devo did a cover.  Although their cover is not from the 80's, it is late-70's new wave, without which we wouldn't have the 80's as we know it.  I'll just come right out with it: I prefer Devo's cover.  I like the original, it's a classic, there would be no Devo cover without it, and I don't prefer Devo's version by a wide margin, but I do prefer the cover.  I don't feel sacrilegious to write these words, because I don't view the Rolling Stones -- or any band (even an 80's band) -- as a God.  No band's songs are untouchable, above being covered.  It's ok if you genuinely prefer the original.  I'm sure the vast majority of you do.  But you don't have to.  Even if you prefer the original -- even if you genuinely dislike Devo's cover -- Devo deserves, at the very least, kudos for having the courage to cover this song (and only twelve years later), and for making it their own.



vs.


No comments:

Post a Comment