Saturday, October 26, 2013

I Got You Babe


"I Got You Babe" was released by Sonny & Cher in 65.  Exactly two decades later, it was covered by UB40 featuring (I refuse to write "feat.") Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders.  While Cher's never been my cup of tea, and Sonny was a better mayor and representative than a singer, Sonny and Cher work as a duo better than Ali Campbell (then-lead singer of UB40) and Chrissie Hynde.  Yet the cover sounds better, and it's my favorite UB40 song.  But not because of UB40.  Because of Chrissie Hynde.  Her singular voice is perfect for this song, foreshadowing the Pretenders' "I'll Stand by You" nine years later.  I don't know whether I would prefer the original or the cover if the latter had just been a regular reggae pop song by UB40 without Chrissie.  Thankfully I'll never have to know.     



vs.


No comments:

Post a Comment