Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Last Christmas


Wham! released "Last Christmas" in 1984; Taylor Swift covered it in 2007.  The original is another one of my top 12 Christmas songs; it's also my favorite original 80's Christmas song, which is now a classic in its own right.  The Christmas season doesn't begin for me until I hear this song on the radio.  The music is somber for a Wham! song, but it's merrier than the lyrics.  The lyrics are among the most depressing of any Christmas song. The singer gave "you" his heart on Christmas, but you gave it away the very next day, on Boxing Day.  You couldn't even wait until December 27th?  But there's some hope buried in the lyrics.  There's always next year.

Although I prefer the original, I'm unembarrassed to say that Taylor Swift's version is my favorite cover of the song.  It's the only cover that doesn't make me wish I was listening to the original.  And who better to sing a song about heartbreak than Taylor Swift?  



vs.


No comments:

Post a Comment