Friday, November 15, 2013

Dancing in the Street


"Dancing in the Street" was released by Martha and Vandellas in 1964.  David Bowie and Mick Jagger covered it in 1985.  The original is classic Motown; the cover is over-the-top (although not overly over-the-top) 80's dance-rock.  Bowie and Jagger may not make the best dance partners, but they make a natural singing duo.  You can just hear how much they enjoyed working together.  When I hear the original, I want to dance in my chair; when I hear the cover, I feel like actually dancing in the street -- albeit a deserted street like the one in the music video.  

I know that some readers still haven't forgiven me for picking Devo's cover of "Satisfaction" over the Rolling Stones' original.  Perhaps I've made up for that, at least to some extent, by selecting Jagger as the winner in this battle.  Or perhaps I've dug myself an even deeper hole....



vs.


No comments:

Post a Comment